Writing & Submission Guidelines
The communication department publishes stories about God’s work in Wisconsin. These include stories about baptisms, outreach events, Pathfinders, education, or other fruitful and unique things people are doing to share Jesus with others.
Kinds of Submissions
News stories are generally brisk and to the point. They need to answer who, what, where, when, why, and sometimes how. Reports of special church services or programs should show how they affected people for God. Ask yourself, “Would I be interested in reading a story like this?”
Facebook posts are brief comments and announcements of items of interest to the Wisconsin church family. While the words are few, usually between 0 and100, pictures are very welcome. People love seeing pictures of fellow believers and what they are doing for Jesus. Pictures we can post are unlimited, but usually between 1 and 50.
Feature stories are similar to news stories, but written in a warmer style, dealing with ideas and concepts. Feature stories are often more in depth and personal.
Testimonies are generally told in first person. They share how people, events, and the Holy Spirit worked together to lead the author closer to Jesus.
eNewsletter contributors can submit announcements and events of interest to the larger Wisconsin church family. Articles may be short or longer, and include one or more pictures.
Each Story Should:
1. Deal with events that happen in Wisconsin. Mission trips and missionary efforts of people from Wisconsin are accepted.
2. Be of interest to people in Wisconsin.
3. Avoid a promotional tone or requests for funding, allowing the Holy Spirit to prompt the reader to action.
4. Be as brief as possible, not exceeding the specified word count.
1. Keep news articles and testimonies to 300-350 words, feature stories to 500-600 words.
2. Use simple words and sentences.
3. Use personal quotes. Instead of “A good time was had by all,” quote someone explaining what they enjoyed the most.
4. Cut needless words and sentences.
5. Include the author of the story, what church they are a member of, and title if applicable.
6. Revise, rewrite, and reread your story. A second or third draft is usually better than a first.
7. If possible, send at least one clear picture pertaining to your article. Pictures must be sent separately from your article as an attachment. They also should be in .jpg format and be of high quality (300 dpi).
1. Submit stories for the Lamp Letter, eNewsletter, Facebook, or website to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Web: Our goal is to post new information as it comes available to us.
3. Facebook: Our goal is to post new materials daily or weekly. Submit at any time.
4. eNewsletter’s are generally sent monthly, bimonthly in summers. Submit by last week of each month.
5. Due date for submitting Lamp Letter articles to communication department for upcoming issue:
DATE DUE Lamp Letter Issue
January 1 February
April 1 May
July 1 August
October 1 November