The Adventist Lay Seminary is a ministry begun in 2005 by Dr. Ricardo Norton of the Andrews University Theological Seminary to upgrade ministry skills of
|Dr. Ricardo Norton
the lay members. The disproportinate growth of the non-Adventist world population and the sluggish growth of the Adventist church in some regions is an alarming fact that deserves attention. A solution to the evangelization challenge we face resides in the development of a professional lay training program, to equip church members to join fulltime pastoral forces in disseminating the Adventist message. Churches will not survive long if their operation relies solely on the pastor's work. The book Christian Service, page 68, says, "The idea that the minister must carry all the burdens and do all the work is a great mistake."
The 10 Lay Seminary courses are taught by seminary professors from Andrews University and around the world. The quality of the training is very high!
“We have operated the Lay Seminary for years in the Lake Region Conference,”
reported Eddy Allen, LRC Vice President of Multi‐Cultural Affairs. “The quality
of the training is phenomenal and the joy of the trainees is unmatched.”
Details of Adventist Lay Seminary 2017:
- Meets one Sunday per month for eight months as an intensive - students spend six hours in training on Sunday and follow-up on their lessons for four weeks until the next session
- English session for 2017 will focus on Small Group Leadership
- 2017 focus for the Spanish session is on the Bible Worker
- Graduation services for both English and Spanish groups will be held in February of 2018
- Graduates receive a Certificate of Graduation, and may receive two hours of graduate credit from Andrews University Theological Seminary
- $100 registration fee includes handout materials (not assigned books) and lunch during the Sunday sessions
“We believe in the ministry of our lay people,” said Wisconsin Conference President, Mike Edge. “Together with our pastors and teachers, our members are our greatest resource. This training program will help our leaders to be more effective for Jesus.”
Space is limited. Sign up today!
Adventist Lay Training PDF in English and Spanish
2017/2018 Small Group Lay Certification Curriculum in English